Sunday, May 14, 2006

Siem Reap (REP) Day 3, Part II

Without even stopping to cleanse our skin of its new red hues (not from sun burn, but from all the iron rich soil, which when in dust form floats in the air gracefully, anxious to cling to our sweaty bodies, shirts inclduded, and creates a kind of burnt-orange spritz; I know, kinda sexy!) we head off to the Akira mine museum. I went for a walk away from the museum because it was too much, and a young boy, about four years old, signaled for me to share some of my jackfruit chips. So I walke a bit with my little friend and we were later joined by some of his elder family member, except the young boy, everybody else was missing a limb. Akira has defused thousands of mines, but there are still thousands more! The worst part is if that little boy wasn't so close to land mine victims, he could be among one of the hundreds of children who lose their life because they find a mine, and not knowing what it is, think its a toy and play with it. Just one of the stories you learn about at Akira's Mine Museum.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


daneanthony Stats